The Balancing Act & Stress Management

0 Comments
Balancing work and personal life is one of the major problems faced by employees from the IT industry. Coming from a family where both me and my husband work like dogs all week with limited time to spare for ourselves, I faced this problem many times. We absolutely had no time for each other till the weekends which fly away like seconds keeping us busy with the pending house chores. I even considered quitting my job several times. At such a juncture, I happened to come across some forwarded emails with articles on the balancing act and stress-management. They made the problem sound so generic that it gave me a relief to note that I'm not the only one facing this kind of problem. After reading them I tried to slow down and divide my day for quality time with my husband. I made my husband squeeze me into his daily routine. We slowly practiced on it and though not quality time we now manage to spare some time for each other.

CNN also provides with a calculator for this balancing act: balance.calculator

Apart from all these, here is what I have to say about the daily stress-management. Stress is an everyday struggle. Right from having to wake up early in the morning, running behind the bus, squeezing ourselves into the crowd, hanging for an hour, reaching the office, listening to the boss barking at us regarding some critical issues, breaking our heads in front of the computer, working late, quitting lunch, sometimes dinner too, missing the last bus, returning home and munching some sandwich or a cookie, trying hard to get to sleep and finally manage to sleep for 3 to 4 hours when the alarm goes off for another day at work. Well, this is what happens with everybody I guess. But here is a solution I propose to it:

  • Do not think about the bad remarks you get from your boss...just think about the rosy days he/she praised you.
  • Do not skip lunch for no matter what reasons you have.
  • Treat yourself to a dark chocolate whenever you feel low. It wont increase your calories.
  • Reach office on time and leave on time no matter how critical an issue you have to solve.
  • Take tea-breaks and call a friend of yours to knock it all off about your work or any other stress related issues.Talking and discussing your issues helps a lot.
  • Have a music player handy while in buses to soothe yourself away from the crowd and noise.
  • Indulge in a massage at a spa once in a while.
  • Develop a hobby that you enjoy having. I can suggest cooking but not everybody likes it.
  • Exercise. Yes, exercise releases endorphins that lower stress and make you happy. Aerobics is my goto form of exercise. You can also just go for a walk.
  • Sing karaoke with your favorite song and do it as loud as you can.
  • Do not stretch on weekdays but instead come on a Saturday and work for half-day.
  • After a rough day at office, come home and watch the most funniest movie you like and laugh as much as you can, even if you have to hold your stomach and roll on the floor.
  • Diversion. Put your problems at hold and diver t yourself by going and helping someone else in need.
  • Meditate, if you're into such stuff.
  • Go shopping, you don't have to buy anything, you can do window shopping.
This is what I do when stress is too much to handle. I guess many of you already do this; those who don't can try them.


You may also like

No comments: