The Garbage We Buy

30 Comments

I got this enlightening message from a visitor to my photostream on flickr, which got me thinking. The stuff we buy everyday, I mean, not what is edible and what we really need to survive, like vegetables and fruits, but those which cannot be recycled like plastic, electronics, some clothes, and a hell lot of chemical products used to wash, clean, to beautify ourselves including electricity and gas, ever wondered at what cost all this comes? Answer: Our Own Lives. Yes!!! all these toxic products cost us our lives coz most of them is garbage that cannot be recycled and when burnt produces harmful toxins that can devour this earth. Well, you might be thinking we heard this recycling story many times but did you do anything about it? I asked myself the same question. But none, nada, zilch, I never even bothered to give it a second thought, ofcourse I can't imagine life without all these electronic gadgets around me that make life simple and easy, hip and chic etc. But do we actually need them? I mean, I have a lipgel which I got recently which I rarely use and when its expiry reaches, it goes to the waste bin with not even 25% of it used. And its not only me, there must be thousands out there like me who throw away their lipgels without using. But where does the chemical finally go? it can't be recycled and it can't be re-used. It is simply burnt to release more harmful toxins into the air which we breathe. Same with electronic goods. I myself have 2 mobiles and 2 MP3 players. Do I need so many? I just got them coz they are IN and its quite cool to have something like that. But will I die if I don't buy it? No, what a silly question, but look at my friends, they all have this stuff, then why shouldn't I, HUH there I go again. I mean seriously why do we do this? No wonder our grandmas and grandpas lived till 80 to 100 years while our generation is gonna die at 60 or 70 max. We are killing ourselves, that's what I came to understand after seeing this video. Now I'm seriously thinking about that Cover Girl Lipstain that has been launched recently and which is on sale, no matter how tempting it is, I will first use up the ones that I already have cluttered up in my shelf, and only then think about buying a new one or none at all coz all these chemicals only spoil the skin. The same with my computer, I was going to throw it and get a new laptop but that's not required coz I already have one laptop which I share with my husband but that's OK and we'll share it carefully till it survives. Also don't go for products on sale and discounts coz they are made to last only a few months and after that you will have to buy another, thus only increasing your percentage of garbage contributed to this world. Thanks for reading and hope you will play your part wisely for a better earth and a better "us".
You can find more information on going green and tips for saving earth from garbage at yahoo. I think I'll try participating in Earth Day's programs tomorrow. What about you?


You may also like

30 comments:

Vyazz said...

What you have stated is absolutely true....nevertheless one cannot help depending on gadgets for our day to day needs. Right from a palmtop to an mp3 player. In spite of the fact that all of us know they negative outcomes of their excessive use!!..I suppose the world currently exists in a major state of denial!!!

rads said...

True Vyazz and the sad part is that even after knowing everything, we are not doing anything about it. Its like we have become illiterate literates.

kittymatti said...

very true..unhealthy lifestyle... We r sooo dependent on these things, we can never give up using them!

rads said...

Hmm yea kittymatti but nothing wrong in giving it a try once, right?

Anonymous said...

True I can't give up my mobile though I know its many side-effects but trying to give up something which we don't need like a lipstain is ok I guess...I'll give it a try too...

rads said...

Thanks for dropping by Anonymous...I appreciate it...I'm glad you're in...But next time please be kind enough to leave your name.

Mythri N said...

That's absolutely true.
We are one greedy generation who 'wants' everything even though there is no 'need' for it!! Maybe its because we havent gone through pain and suffering our grandparents had gone through (wars/diseases).
I live a frugal life (or IN word is 'gone green')and don’t have a cell phone or ipod...but still surviving!.

rads said...

WOW that's something nice to hear about Mythri...way to go...thanks for dropping by and commenting...

Anonymous said...

Good message. But, it's hard to implement.

rads said...

Thanks Anonymous. But we can atleast try with simple things like conserving power. Nothing is impossible.

sammythewizzy said...

wow... excellent post on Earth Day.. :) .. very thought provoking too.. good things guys don't use lipgel or whatever its called.. we dont contribute to wastage that way :P .. lol.. but seriously, being frugal is pretty tough when there is pressure from friends to keep up with the trends... it boils down to the strength of our convictions i guess..

A journey called Life said...

interesting piece.. its all about doing our little bit.. however little it is.. eventually little drops of water make a mighty ocean.. once again nice write up

Sapna said...

I always go by the saying - the lesser is always the better... I like your post becos I mindlessly wonder on these lines as well. It's like we ourselves are the key reasons for the global warming and it is not a nice feeling. But to make people understand this is quite a task… cos we all belong to a rural educated genre of people with zilch environment concern indirectly costing us everything.

rads said...

@Sammy: I know many guys who use chapsticks so its not only girls using lipgels. And there are many other things that guys use which girls don't, like shaving cream...but yes like you said its hard to control buying stuff...atleast we can try...

rads said...

@Aparna: True and when one starts the other will follow.

rads said...

@Sapna: True it is all designed and we are forced to buy them owing to our lifestyle. But we can try.

Adesh Sidhu said...

This indeed is thought provoking. I guess if everybody do their small bit, it will make lot of difference.

rads said...

Yes Adesh. Its just a matter of will-power.

kittymatti said...

definitely, should first try carrying my own shopping bag :)

rads said...

Yea go green and try getting an earth-friedly shopping bag.

Ramesh said...

Nice post. We do buy lots of stuff that we don't use and throw away. Its amazing how possessions expand to fill every nook and corner in every cupboard. Nice idea to pause and think before every impulse buy.

rads said...

Thanks Ramesh. Welcome to my blog. It is true that we need to think before buying something but all these ads and marketing guys tempt us so much that we have stopped thinking. So its high time we put them aside and think for ourselves.

Sathana said...

A thought needed among us all now.I agree rads,we surely must do sumthin to save our earth not only in words in actions too

rads said...

Yea Sathana I have started reducing my consume and hope everybody will do the same...

lafemmereva said...

Rads, In a day dya know how many times I end up thinking that I should de clutter. Especially last weekend I forced myself to junk out the makeup I wasn't using. I told myself that I need not keep it for that one dress for which this makeup will so totally suit! How many times sdo I keep something just because it might come in use later!!!!

rads said...

Yea Reva, happens all the time with me too. Now I have a huge collection of lipgels alone looking at me like antique pieces in a museum. But if we really want to save the Earth we'll reduce the consume and I feel that's the way to go.

nivedithasperceptions said...

Touche...
Not only is using old make up helping our environment it's good economy too... Why waste money... I was actually pretty enlightened and will think twice before going in to buy make up the next time...

rads said...

That's good Niveditha. Glad to hear it.

Total Chat said...

This is something that I think about a lot and it is a crazy throw away world that we live in and I don't understand people that don't want to recycle!

rads said...

Yea but first of all products should be made in such a way that they could be recycled after use, and we know it very well that its not possible so better buy only what is necessary. Thanks for commenting Total Chat :) Welcome to my blog.