Best ways to promote a blog

34 Comments
Okay, so you have started a blog and posted a few articles, now what? If you really want to shout and let the whole world know that you have a blog which you want them to read then you have to promote it, you can't just expect readers to come and look for it right? For more than 3 months now, I have been doing a diploma on this and here's what I concluded finally.

1) Submit your blog to search engines like Google, Yahoo, and MSN. But this process is usually slow so go a step ahead and submit it to these websites:
http://www.freesubmitwebsiteurl.com/
http://www.top100site.net/
http://all-linkdirectory.com/
http://pingomatic.com/

2) Join as many blog directories, and social bookmarking websites as possible. Don't just join but be active and spread the word in their forums. Add friends, exchange links and do all the shameless self-promotion kind of advertising possible, but be careful not to break rules as you might get banned. Listed below are a few good websites that really help you get listed in search engines.

indiblogger.in - for Indian bloggers
blogadda.com - for Indian bloggers
blogarama.com
blogtoplist.com
blogtopsites.com
blogged.com
blogorator.com
blogcatalog.com
dir.blogflux.com
topblogarea.com
bloggapedia.com
blogengage.com
bloghub.com
bestblogs.org
bloghints.com
blo.gs.com
weblogs.com
bloggerschoiceawards.com
technorati.com
del.icio.us
digg.com
reddit.com
stumbleupon.com
simpy.com
bloglovin.com

3) Get bookmarking codes from websites like Addthis, Tellafriend, and Sharethis that place buttons on your blog and allow readers to bookmark/share your blog posts.

4) Blogroll your friends' blogs or blogs which you like and let them know you have done so. Who knows, maybe they will blogroll you and help you spread the word. You can also do this by joining Blogrolling.

5) Join Feedburner and allow readers to subscribe to your posts and/or comments. Also join feed directories and submit your feed url. Search engines refer to such directories. Masternewmedia lists hundreds of feed directories.

6) Join social networking websites like Orkut, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and add your blog url/address to your profile pages. Create a Facebook page for your blog. Add widgets of your facebook/twitter/flickr accounts on your blog. Also post a link to your new blog post every time you blog.

7) Add your blog address as a status line to your chat messengers to let your friends know about your blog.

8) Host contests and giveaways. Everybody loves freebies. Ask your readers to include a link back to your blog when they are participating in your contests. Allow and ask them to follow your blog when they are participating in your giveaways.

9) Volunteer to guest blog for other bloggers.

10) Send e-mails to friends who're not aware of blogging, or do not know that you have one. They might be interested in your blog, you never know.

11) Ask your readers what they want to see more on your blog. Take readers' requests and blog about them. This is sure to win more readership coz you're making your blog more about your readers than about you and what can be more promoting than that.

12) Update your blog regularly. Keep your posts short and simple. If you have a lengthy post, just break it down into parts and post it as two blog posts. Lazy bloggers like me are never going to hit it with readers.

13) Award your fellow bloggers and ask them to display the award (probably an image made by you) on their blog with a link back to your blog.

14) Accept tags and tag others. Ask them to link back to you while participating in the tags.

15) If you are into vlogging, then open a youtube.com or vimeo.com account and promote your blog there.

I guess this should do for beginners like me. Professional bloggers use a lot more techniques which I'm not yet aware of, but these tips should be more than enough for casual bloggers. I'll be updating this post as and when I get more info on it. Please comment if this helps you or if you have anything more to share on this.


You may also like

34 comments:

kittymatti said...

Fantastic!!! 2 months back i was trying to publicize my blog in different ways...Read many articles, saw many videos etc...By far, this has been the most informative article...
I have not tried most of the things u have mentioned..Must surely do all of them, thnx Radhika!

rads said...

@kittymatti: Thanks Preethi :)

preposterous girl said...

Hi Rads..
I've started blogging abt 3 months back .so u see this information abt various blog-directories is very useful for me..
I was active on indiblogger but of late coz of exams I'm not visiting the forum..But after the exams I'm surely gng to follow ur word..
Thanx..

Vinay said...

Nice article. A neat beginners' guide for blog promotion.

The only problem with all the social networking sites is the need to keep on registering with them everytime. Why don't they accept something like the OpenId. One registration name and you can signup for their services.

Naveen said...

Er... it's IndiBlogger.in, not .com! :-)

Mrunalini said...

good one...i want to try some of these, but maybe i will start with creating a favicon. Have bookmarked that post, but I am yet to work on it :)

Kokonad said...

This is great, Radhika! Only last month I was thinking of doing the very same - write a post on good blogging practices! :) I just have one addition to make here - the more you comment around, the more people know of your blog... and one must reply to ALL comments in one's blog. I myself did not do that - I have started doing this fairly recently. :) What do you think?

Adesh Sidhu said...

Pingates.com is another option which one can use. It pings your blog in all blog directories.

As usual, informative post.

rads said...

@preposterous girl: I'm glad to be of some help. You must be active in the sense atleast login and make a post once in a while.

rads said...

@Vinay: Thanks Vinay. Social networking sites still have to work on that I guess, but its a nice idea, why don't you blog about it and let them know.

rads said...

@Naveen: Welcome to my blog. Thanks for pointing out, I've corrected it.

rads said...

@Mrunalini: Yea Mruna, everybody who wants their blog to be known should try these atleast.

rads said...

@Kokonad: Thanks Koko, do blog about it, its always good to see someone else benefiting from your blog, yea? And yes that's another good way spreading the word, comment on others' blogs and they'll comment on yours.

rads said...

@Adesh: Thanks for the info Adesh, I'll check it.

le embrouille blogueur said...

Great tips Rads.Guess I will have to get on the wagon....!!!

rads said...

@le embrouille blogueur: Thanks Dukul. Yep you better if you want more readers and visitors.

Sapna said...

Thanks for those very helpful and useful tips. I myself have adhered to a couple of the sites mentioned here and it definitely has helped increase my list of readers. Will try a click on the others too…

Kadambari said...

Nice post rads. I believe in spreading the love! Read more blogs.. comment. What goes around, comes around. :)

rads said...

@Sapna: No probs Sapna. Thanks for reading :)

rads said...

@Kadambari: Yep thats quite true and always works, I dunno why I forgot including it. Thanks.

theishu said...

Really good one. Probably the most relevant post to all readers and fellow-bloggers.

Thanks a lot! :)

rads said...

@theishu: Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you liked it.

Mythri N said...

Wow..that's a lot of info! thanks! btw, i left a replied to ur comment but dont why it didnt make it. nice to know ur from blore...let me ur id,better than communicating thr comments!

rads said...

@Mythri N: Hey I'll leave my id as a comment in your blog.

Vyazz said...

Nice compilation of sites for blog promotion. For me nevertheless, the most useful site as far as generating blog traffic goes has been Indiblogger.in
Coz a good deal of Indian blogs are on it and are very well summarized with regard to the topics, tags etc.

rads said...

@Vyazz: Yea Vyazz that's why it tops my list. Thanks.

SiD said...

There is one more idea guys...try google analytics they will analyze your blog performance on web. maybe that will help!!

rads said...

@SiD: Thank you for the info. I'll try it. Welcome to my blog.

tandoorilounge said...

Very informative!! I am certainly gonna try and work on a few right away :-)

silentlyexpress said...

good tips,..finally after using some of your tips i comment :)..

rads said...

@tandoorilounge: Thank you. Welcome to my blog. You must try them, they are the best I came across.

rads said...

@silentlyexpress: Thank you. Welcome to my blog. Glad to see you've used them :)

ZiLliOnBiG said...

humm, i have been here just 2 months(since 14th may to be precise), but have made quite a lot of friends(40+ followers).

I feel joining all these blog promoting directory sites really dont help.

unless you are a celebrity, the mantra is to be good to your readers, dont sound elitist by displaying crazy disclaimers, read others as KADAMBARI says, and most important put in quality stuff. End of the day, the quality of your writeup is what attracts readership, rest is all secondary.

MOST IMPORTANT: have a sense of humour.and dont take yourself so seriously...:)

rads said...

@ZiLliOnBiG: Thanks for sharing all these points and I do agree with them to an extent. Blog promoting sites do help and that's where I got all my readers but then again only if you visit others blogs will others visit yours and comment. Also I agree that the content has to be good, after all "content is king" and if a reader doesn't find what he/she is looking for then they will not return. A sense of humor does help and all my posts are lighthearted (atleast that's how I start them and that's how I think they are), if that's what you meant by humor. And I sure do hope my disclaimer is not crazy, I have it mainly coz I don't want any copyright issues.