Favicon for your Blog

31 Comments
Quite a few of my fellow bloggers and readers have been asking me how I got the favicon for this blog. For those of you who don't know, Favicon is something like the image which you are seeing adjacent to the blog url in the address bar. Its main purpose is to distinguish the website/blog from other bookmarked websites/blogs. This makes it easier to find the bookmarked page from a list of thousands that we have in our favorites. To get a favicon, first of all you need to design it yourself using any image editing software like Photoshop, or GIMP. If you are not aware of any of them you can also use MS Paint or click here to get a list of online drawing tools. You can also use a picture of yourself or of anything that you can relate your website/blog to. Now you have to convert this picture to a .ico file. To do so, visit this website that will convert and host the image for you. If you have a host server then you can upload the .ico image to it and use the code provided by the website in your index page. For your blog you can use the alternate code which looks like [link rel= shortcut icon href= http://www.iconj.com/ico/1/8/16x77a0bg2.ico] and add it to your template under the [title]...[/title] tag. To do so, go to Layout->Edit Template. If you have any more queries leave me a comment, and I'll be glad to help.


You may also like

31 comments:

kittymatti said...

very interesting radhika.. i shall try it today and let u know! thnx dear..

TW said...

Rads! this is awesome!! Just incorporated that for my blog ..love it :D

rads said...

I'm glad to help Preethi :)

rads said...

I'm glad you tried it TW :)

kittymatti said...

i have got the image converted to .ico file... how do i load it now? didnt understand the last part

rads said...

ok as soon as you converted it the website must have given you a link to be pasted in your blog, something like this:
[link rel=shortcut icon href=http://www.iconj.com/ico/1/8/16x77a0bg2.ico]
Paste this link under the [title]...[/title] tag in your template code. You will find that under Layout->Edit Template.

kittymatti said...

hehe...got it dear, thnx! i will soon change the logo...

rads said...

glad to hear that...will b waiting to see it up...

Ramesh said...

Thanks Rads. Nice tip.

rads said...

No probs Ramesh. I just hope it helps.

A journey called Life said...

ohh i just love the way u make tech stuff sound so easy for dodos like me.. will try it today and let u know of the outcome..

Adesh Sidhu said...

Thanks Rads. I was looking for this tip. Now I hace to figure out what picture I have to use.

rads said...

Thanks Aparna. Hmm I don't think ur a dodo and if not knowing 'bout favicon makes you a dodo then I was one until last week. Will be waiting to see ur favicon.

rads said...

I'm glad its helping you Adesh.

Ashish Sukhadeve said...

Thanks Rads. you solved my problem.

rads said...

Gee, I'm glad Ashish :). Welcome to my blog and thanks for commenting.

lafemmereva said...

interesting rads!!! me will try over weekend!

rads said...

Thanks Reva...will be waiting to see your favicon.

le embrouille blogueur said...

Great blog rads !! I happened to read your older posts also and appreciate the range.Will be following closely.Regards.

rads said...

Thanks le embroille bloguer :). I'm glad you liked my silly write-ups.

preposterous girl said...

Hey Rads..
great info..I' surely gng to try it today..and will bug u if there is any prob..

rads said...

Thanks Swetha...I'm sure you will not have any issues but you can ask me in case you do. I'm here to help.

Vyazz said...

Truth be told, I have always kinda wanted a favicon 4 my blog. But I don't have the necessary software.I tried using MS paint, but what I came up with kinda sucked. I'm still looking 4 a good symbol 4 my blog.
Will look into the sites U mentioned!!
Thnx 4 the info!!!

A journey called Life said...

rads me needs ur email id.. coz i have some questions about layout etc on my blog.. can u help?

rads said...

No probs Vyazz...me too feels MS Paint sucks, you can use Artweaver, its free.

kittymatti said...

radhika, this layout is very pleasing to the eye! good choice:)

rads said...

Thanks Preethi :)

Preeti Shenoy said...

Here from ramesh's post today.
You explained it sooooo well!! Managed to do it for my blog too.
Thanks so much!
Cheers
preeti

rads said...

Happy to hear that Preeti :) Welcome to my blog and thanks for dropping by.

Namita Chandra said...

thanks rad because of your post I was able to change my blogger favicon. thanx

rads said...

Glad to hear that Namita. Welcome to my blog. But I don't see a favicon on any of your blogs.