Generative Art

21 Comments
Art generated with math algorithms is called Generative Art. It is mostly done by running action-scripts in tools like Adobe Flash. It is another amazing forms of digital abstract art like the Fractals. By now you must know I'm smitten with digital abstracts. Below are links to a few websites that allow you to create generative art; its for people like me who can't do it the original way.

1) VisualRinse - Chad Udell has come up with this unique flash based DIY that generates art based on a word you enter; the creation is yours to keep as a screenshot. Below is what I got when I entered the word "art":


2) MotoColors - Motorola has come up with a unique idea of promoting its wide range of handset colors and created this flash based DIY that creates excellent generative art with different colors. All you have to do is pick your color and make some moves with your mouse. The download options are disabled but you can still play around and take a screenshot of your artwork. Below is my creation:

3) Weavesilk - As the name suggests, this website, which is created by a student, creates an interactive web-like silky abstract. You can play around for a while until you get the desired shape and take a screenshot. The website also has some pre-created images which you can download. Here's something I made:

4) Bomomo - This is another flash-based web tool which creates beautiful abstracts with some simple moves with your mouse. It is quite self-explanatory. Below is what I made:


5) FlamePainter: Its another amazing program created as a project called "I'm an Artist" by a student who's motto is "everybody's an artist". Isn't that cool? Just adjust some settings and play with your mouse and you can have an amazing abstract, all yours to save and keep. Here's what I created:

6) JPollock: Wanna paint like Jackson Pollock? then you should give this website a try. Just move your mouse around and it does everything for you. Click once to change color but you have no control of which color coz that's automated. Below is what I got:

Below is a beautiful video depicting generative art:

Ribbon paintings from Eugene Zatepyakin on Vimeo.



You may also like

21 comments:

le embrouille blogueur said...

Great post Rads.I am amazed at the gamut that you cover in these write ups...very impressive.

Vinay said...

These abstracts look awesome. I would actually like to have one of them adore the cover of my cell phone. The black colour is boring.

kittymatti said...

very interesting... esp the first one!

le embrouille blogueur said...

Rads ... I have tagged you on my latest post...lol !!!

foreigndesi said...

WOW, I love the visualrinse one. If I was a professional painter, I would paint something like that for my living room. I'm going to go play with that website now :) Thanks!

rads said...

@le embrouille blogueur: Thanks :) I just write about anything that I find interesting, my blog isn't limited to just one topic u see :)

rads said...

@Vinay: Yea Vinay I guess they'll make a great mobile wallpaper.

rads said...

@kittymatti: Thanks Preethi :)

rads said...

@foreigndesi: Yea I loved it too. As you play around you can get more good at it.

preposterous girl said...

Hi Rads..
Wow yaar.. u always comeup with such brilliant websites with which we can play around..I'll also do as suggested by Vinay..use it as mobile wallpaper..
Btw u knw what , I didnt knew I dnt follow u.I thought u were the 1st person I followed after I started blogging.. Just checked when I was not ther in ur followers..I almost thought that u blocked me.. :P
Anyways they say its never late than never :-D

pawan said...

Informative!
I'm trying Visualrinse now!
God one!
cheers!

rads said...

@preposterous girl: My love for art makes me browse for such websites. Thanks for following, but it doesn't make any difference coz as long as your reading n commenting its more than enuf for me. Many ppl who follow do not even bother to come back to the blog again.

rads said...

@pawan: Welcome to my blog. Thanks :)

rads said...

From Ramesh via email: Very informative post again Rads - this is the beauty of your blog. I get to learn of things I had no clue about and didn't even know existed.

Demand from your fan club to blog more. I know you are a busy lady, but if you run a fine blog like this, the demand is inevitable !

rads said...

@Ramesh: Glad to be of help Ramesh, that's the main purpose of my blog. I'd love to post everyday but I don't want to use up all my blogspace soon :) so I just slow down n keep it to one post a week. Also, I don't like blogging just for the sake of it, and mostly I post only stuff that I feel would be really helpful to others; no nonsense, and that takes time coz I have to find a good topic that would be liked by a large audience. Its really amazing to see bloggers like you coming up with interesting topics everyday, I wish I knew so many things to blog about; but my knowledge is very limited; sometimes I'm J. I'll definitely try n post more often. Thanks for the concern :)

Sapna said...

Hmmm I like the first one it’s like an abstract and I love those… cool ones I must say! I think It’ll look handsome on my living room wall :-D

ajcl said...

finally.. i got to read the ENTIRE post.. lovely as always.. extremely informative.. our very own tech czarina..

ani_aset said...

haha i loved the motorola one, its fun :)
thanks rads for sharing

rads said...

@Sapna: Yea Sapna, it'll look cool, lemme know if you have used it, and send me a picture if possible :)

rads said...

@ajcl: Yea finally, thanks Aparna for the sweet words n the new title :D

rads said...

@ani_aset: No probs Aniruddha, I'm glad you liked it.