Sony Vaio - like.no.other

24 Comments

The Sony Vaio VGN-FZ240E, husband's gift for our last anniversary. Remember the famous Ad which shows eyeballs following it wherever it goes? its exactly that. I got mine in silver, which I thought is quite classy but its available in many other appealing colors. Its got a Macbook look and the best part is that its lightweight compared to some IBM and Dell laptops, I've used previously. The keypad is designed very well and is very comfortable for faster typing. I love its audio output, in fact its got a dedicated wide volume strip and player keys just above its keypad to make the accessability easier. It has slots in the front for sd n pro cards, a tv-tuner card slot to its side, comfortably placed USB2.0 ports, and a very sensitive mouse pad. It has built-in wireless LAN which I guess is common in all the desktops and laptops that come into market these days. The processor cooling fan is placed to its side unlike some laptops which have it at the bottom and I feel this is a nice and must-have innovation. The 1.3MP in-built webcam is awesome and takes cool self-portraits as well. 15.4" display is wide enough to allow you to watch a movie without missing your TV set. Dual Layer DVD reader/writer works fine with almost any CD and DVD. The laptop runs on Intel Centrino Core2 Duo T7250 2GHz, the best so far. It also comes loaded with Vista Home Premium and a lot of other Sony features but sadly they are all trial versions and you'll find it hard getting rid of them over time. Battery life is not good, may last for 3 to 4 hours when fully charged. It has a built-in mic for voice chat, so you don't have to make extra investments on speakers, mic, and headphones. It has a whooping 250GB hard disk so you can store away as many songs, movies, documents, photos, s/w etc., without requiring additional backup. Know more about its specifications here. Like all Sony products this is a little costly, but if you want the brand name and the quality, you can go for it. The only sad part is that Sony Support does not provide drivers for WindowsXP. Mine did not come with a recovery CD either so Sony was expecting me to buy Vista? No ways, I'll try and figure out how to use it with XP coz I have already invested a lot in it.


You may also like

24 comments:

kittymatti said...

Wah! Useful info! Planning to buy a laptop...joining school this August! Hehehe..Will show this to my hubby:)
Thnx for adding me to the fav list at technorati

Vinay said...

Yes, Sony is costly. Imagine, its netbooks are a cool Rs.3-4k more than Asus netbooks. Toshiba too has good styling and is reliable. And yes, this trouble of Windows XP drivers being phased out does exist. Vista is a crappy OS. I still don't know why don't computer manufacturers give the option of a Linux OS.

Beware, if you are using a laptop for long typing works, invest in a good USB-keyboard.

Kaddu said...

Hey this link might help...
Vgn-fz240e Xp Driver


Let me know if u need further help. My email ID is given on my blogger profile.

preposterous girl said...

Hi Rads..
Wow another helpful post of urs.. :-)
Will check it back while deciding to buy lappy for myself..

rads said...

@kittymatti: Hey you kidding or really joining school? No matter what this lappy is a good investment and u'll love it.

rads said...

@Vinay: Yea I agree that Vista is crappy, and Linux I guess is very costly compared to Windows, so we have to buy it ourselves. Toshiba is good but if you wanna use it for work now n then it'll crash soon, I've seen it happen to a friend's...A seperate keyboard is always helpful for typing works.

rads said...

@Kaddu: Hey I guess you're using Sony Vaio as well, I've seen this forum and yes they are providing drivers for XP but will they work? did you try it?

rads said...

@preposterous girl: You can consider it Shweta :)

rads said...

From Ramesh via email: Sony Vaio is great of course - especially if the significant other gifts it !! Lucky you. In Mandarin there is an expression tai gui le (said with a lot of feeling). Its an emotional "too expensive" response and applies perfectly to Vaio !!

rads said...

Thanks a lot Ramesh :) I never thought somebody would care so much to post a comment via email even during tough times as posed to you...And yes the feeling was great especially coz its expensive ;)

Adesh Sidhu said...

Viao looks cool. If I ever going to buy Windows based laptop (if Apple ever failed to deliver goods), it has to be Viao. But Vista must be ruining your laptop's fun.

Kokonad said...

Nice! I love Vaio laptops - I own a lenovo myself and I love it! It has been with me through thick and thin!
I have been considering to upgrade my laptop soon - but I have been using Mac machines and I am completely enamored by them. Vista was sad, and Windows 7 doesn't look promising - so it's going to be all Apple I suppose.
Btw, if you are stuck while downgrading to XP and finding appropriate drivers, I could help you... my colleagues already call me "that Indian Tech-support guy" :) (ah, there goes modesty down the drain)

rads said...

@Adesh Sidhu: Oh I'm glad to see an Apple fan praising Vaio, coz that's quite rare. And Vista, don't even ask, a technically challenged person like me can find so many bugs in it to keep a whole bunch of programmers busy. Its pathetic, Microsoft should really take care of what they are releasing, with so much competition they are bound to lose their brand name fame if products are like this. And on top of it they pay dealers like Sony to release laptops made exclusively for Vista!!! that's shocking and disgusting.

rads said...

@Kokonad: Ah yea, one of my friend's owns a lenovo, they're pretty costly too, she had a wide screen, entertainment purpose lenovo, we all loved watching movies in it, its like its just made for that, but they're so heavy. I'd love to downgrade to XP as soon as possible only if I find the time to do enough research. Sure would contact you if I need some help during the installation. Thanks :)

Nutty Martian said...

Lucky you...Viao looks ultra cool agreed :) will check back soon!

ZiLliOnBiG said...

hey First time, nice blog. Though i find vaio too expensive for god knows why. me, myself and my HP make a lovly couple.:))

rads said...

@Nutty Martian: Yea the design's too good. Sure. Thanks.

rads said...

@ZiLliOnBiG: HP is a great buy too. ALmost all my friends have a HP this or that. Its a cool laptop.

Vinay said...

"Linux I guess is very costly compared to Windows, so we have to buy it ourselves."

No, Linux is completely free. You can download Linux iso for free. Also, Ubuntu ships CDs free of cost for home users. All Linux upgrades and updates are free. With time, Linux has improved a lot and even beginners can use it very easily. Also, it doesn't hog resources neither does it crash like the Windows OS.

And with so many distros around, you have a bunch of choices to make. My personal favourite is SuSE Linux.

rads said...

@Vinay: Oh that's great, then maybe Microsoft is buying dealers like Sony to manufacture laptops designed for their OS needs, when it has to be the other way round...God knows what's happening. I used Linux once, I think Redhat, I felt it was quite dull and not so user-friendly. But it was a long time back, about 4 years ago, so they must've developed it by now.

Mythri N said...

Nice review and thanks for all that info Rads! That is true, Vista is sort of being pushed on when we are finally comfy with XP!

rads said...

@Mythri N: Thanks :) Yea I've fallen in love with XP and was trying to master it when they forced Vista on everyone.

Vinay said...

You may want to read this: http://expresthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/02/monopolistic-practices-and.html

Linux has improved a lot since RedHat days. You should have a look at any of the current distros. I would suggest OpenSuSE or Ubuntu. These are very good for those who are novices w.r.t Linux

rads said...

@Vinay: Thanks for the info Vinay will tell my hubby n see if we can use it too.