Creativity and Craziness

34 Comments
Sometimes creativity gone overboard is nothing but craziness, example: lady gaga. But I guess its OK to be that way coz she's unique and the millions of people across the world who admire her think she's an idol. I think there's a thin line between being creative and going crazy, or maybe craziness is creativity, I don't know but whatever it is I think its OK to be this way.

I often wondered, am I crazy or am I creative if I'm creating abstract art. I don't know but I think they are related coz all the crazy abstract art I paint is when I'm angry or in pain and just looking for some kind of emotional release. And I think it makes me similar to lady gaga in my own way. I've been watching her latest Born This Way and couldn't agree more to what she has to say. Sometime before this album was released, I created an abstract but didn't quite know what to name it so left it untitled but after listening to her song I decided to name it 'Born This Way' coz it suits my mood when I created it and looks so much like the visuals in the song. Its ugly, its dirty, and makes me wanna vomit sometimes when I see it, but its mine and its OK to be that way. Now I know that there's so much to lady gaga than the craziness, she's creative in her own way and people who're sticklers of rules and judge others based on principles of society might not like her and think she's crazy, well maybe she is, but I'd like to call her creatively crazy. She does go overboard a lot of times, but whatever it is, her inner turmoil, she's expressing it the way she understands it and in the way she can. I like to express myself with whacky abstract art sometimes. Maybe I'm crazy too but I guess it is OK to be crazy sometimes if that helps with sanity. This is my 'Born This Way'.



Do you have a 'Born This Way' too? I'd like to see it if you do, it could be anything, maybe even a crazy karaoke done by you. By the way if you haven't listened to lady gaga's song, you should, it has a great message. We're living and enjoying our life on this earth becoz of creativity and if people perceive it as craziness then so be it.


You may also like

34 comments:

Pranita said...

True... That is why most geniuses in any field are found to be a lil mad or eccentric.. not bcos they really are, but bcos normal ppl cant relate to em! Being different is the only way to succeed.. n if being different n not followin the herd is crazy, then so be it! Folks called Galelio MAD when he told that the earth is round..!!! Hints? ;-)

P.S. I do abstracts with my pen all d tym on d back pages of my book in class! :P

rads said...

@Pranita: True, when people don't understand something they just call it crazy, its easy for them to say so rather than accepting that their intellectual levels go only so far...following the herd will get us nowhere and its not always necessary that we do, as some ppl think we should...everybody is unique n we can't expect everyone to go in one same direction...if ppl did that we might miss out on the greats like Galileo, and Lady GaGa...

Nice to meet another blogger who's equally interested in abstract art...you shud take pics n post it on your blog sometime..would love to see them...

Pranita said...

Sure... sometimes i feel, abstract art is my way of not admitting that i'm not creative enough!!! :P But its fun, n crazy... so i dont care! LOL

rads said...

@Pranita: Anybody who understands that art could be something more than just flower vases, and fruit bowls is very creative according to me...so bring it on!

magiceye said...

any art that evokes any reaction is good... to hell with what people term it!
do you paint in acrylic on canvas?

Bhavana said...

Yep, I have Born This way spirit and I also seem to be surrounded by people who have it...this makes me wonder sometimes if the world is crazy and I am the only sane one standing:):) Lol. Love your post--gives me a break to laugh and be ok with being me!

Maun Vision said...

amazing art, really moving.

rads said...

@magiceye: Thanks :) I'm glad you understand. I'm a digital painter and use a lot of software to process the stuff that I draw digitally.

rads said...

@Bhavana: Good to know I'm not alone :D Yay to people like us.

rads said...

@Maun Vision: Thanks so much :)

C. Suresh said...

How true! One person's creativity is another person's craziness:)

MAD said...

Fantastic !
Creativity is something which cant be neither explained nor taught...
Creativity is something which only can be experienced.
And as Pranita said, Most of the genius in their respective fields were once considered as mad :PNow they are portrayed as GOD :)

Bhargav said...

craziness itself is an art.. hard to digest for others while you kp enjoying the creativity within... its a kind of one to one philosophy..

nice read..

do visit if time permits
www.soul-n-heart.blogspot.com

Sonia said...

gorgeous!!

rads said...

@Suresh: Exactly, especially something like abstract art or a lady gaga song is not something that everybody gets so they just conclude they're crazy.

rads said...

@Dee: Thanks :) and yes that's why its called creativity. Unfortunately all creative geniuses are not understood until after they have passed away.

rads said...

@Bhargav: Hmm never heard such a definition of art and craziness but I guess only creative ppl can understand that. Thanks for reading :) Welcome to my blog. Will definitely visit yours.

rads said...

@Sonia: Thanks :) Welcome to my blog.

Ramakant Pradhan said...

I guess all of us has some amount of craziness. That's what makes us bearable to each other.

The painting looks awesome. Would have loved to see a larger image.

rads said...

@Ramakant: Hmm that's an interesting pov. But I guess there is some truth to that as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I purposely made the image smaller coz the original is for sale on redbubble and since my paintings are digital, publishing an original copy would be like giving it away for free.

Mak said...

Rads, i agree with your point when you said 'you paint when you are in pain or angry, to release the emotions'. Similarly i do write, sometimes poems or short stories or memoirs. Believe me, at the end, i do forget what pain i had.
Wonderful art and post. No doubt i will be a regular here. Thank you.

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Very nice work..I feel all the creative people are a bit crazy..:-)I'm also one of them...:P

CYNOSURE said...

rads...seriously I loved ur post...and I love to be crazy...just be what you're...was indeed a nice read...cheers... :)

rads said...

@Mak: Yep art has been like a release of painful emotions for me..kind of like therapy. Will definitely check your blog. Thanks for understanding. Welcome to my blog :)

rads said...

@A Homemaker's Utopia: Yea I guess creativity demands being crazy. Glad to meet another creatively crazy person. Welcome to my blog :)

rads said...

@Cynosure: Thanks so much :)

nupurmkr said...

"No one can be profoundly original who does not avoid eccentricity."- Andre Maurois

rads said...

@Nupur: WOW nice quote, thanks for informing me, never heard before. Welcome to my blog :)

jkhona said...

I have moved out from the world of abstract, the day i got into engineering studies! guess its time to get back into abstract, following your blogs!

rads said...

@jkhona: Hmm I didn't do much painting when I was doing my engineering too...Its actually very recently I started doing it seriously. Would love to see your work when its up. Thanks n Welcome to my blog :)

jaish_vats said...

Nice piece of art...Love what you do with all your heart ...if some crazy folks tend to define it as crazy they are missing somethin' Have Fun :)

rads said...

@jaish_vats: Thanks :) I'm glad you understand...Welcome to my blog :)

Amruta Marwah said...

Loved the succinct, but clear message...and completely can relate to it... As soon as I read this, I was reminded of a similar blog I had written long back (http://amrutam-nopen.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-do-you-see-in-it.html)
I guess all creative people think alike, even though their via media to express creativity might be different!

rads said...

@Amruta: That is exactly what I wanted to convey through this post. Thanks for reading and commenting :) Welcome to my blog.