A Chick-flick philosophy

8 Comments
I thought I was getting too old for silly and girly romantic comedies but an accidental one I saw recently was way too good to be ignored as yet another one of those dumb chic-flicks. Beauty and the Briefcase is about a young wannabe fashion writer who actually has a check list for the perfect guy (you know, "the one") and looks for all those qualities in every guy she dates. Well obviously there is no such thing as a perfect guy (ok guys, I know, I know, there's no such thing as a perfect gal either bah!) but I thought like all other RCs this one somehow finds her prince charming too, only thing is that she doesn't and yet does. I mean she does find a guy but the one who is the exact opposite of her dream guy. Only it took her to get a pretense job in a business world to realize that this is the guy whom she wants and not the ghost of a fake guy who lives in her imagination (well no kidding there! and I'm no feminist). It wouldn't have been a romantic-comedy if there was no happy ending and I know that most of the romantic comedies end this way but what I really liked here is that they have taken a fairy tale logic that every girl has, and proved it wrong in a very rosy and glitzy way. Hilary Duff was superb as always, very comic and cute. The movie was not boring at all and worth a watch if you're into romantic comedies. Although, the story might sound cliche/old/cheesy/corny/whatever to others (the one's who hate romantic comedies), I really think it's worth a watch.

The movie also reminded me of WB's reality TV show that came out back in 2005, Beauty and the Geek. Though I hate reality TV I really enjoyed watching all seasons of this show coz I'm a bit of both worlds and like the show's motto I think there's a bit of both in everyone of us. I really didn't know how only bimbos, or only nerds existed in real life, so I got curious and the show was definitely worth watching. I did find out that it was what each of us choose to portray is what the world sees us as. A girl looking like a bimbo doesn't mean that she doesn't have brains and given the right opportunity she can be a geek. Similarly a guy who's a geek and totally anti-social can become socially involved with girls if he wanted to, given the right guidance and opportunity. If you haven't seen it, you can watch a few episodes here.

Image Courtesy: Google Images. One of the promotional posters created for the movie.


You may also like

8 comments:

Ramesh said...

Of course, there is a perfect guy ! You know who !!

rads said...

@Ramesh: Oh yea I know who, the guy I saw in the movie "Beauty n the Briefcae" :P

A said...

Seems like a good movie. My wife loves these kind of movies and I watch with her. You kept it interesting.

rads said...

@A: Thanks :) Yea romantic-comedies are mostly watched by gals, though it beats me why, maybe coz they're all pink n heart-warming...

rama said...

Nice movie, love romantic movies, doesn't matter whether they are comedy or tragedy, I love all of them as long as they do not drag. My all time favorites are "Sleepless in Seattle" and "Serendipity". I must have watched them a hundred times.
This is my first visit to your blog and it is good to know you.

rads said...

@rama: Welcome to my blog :) Thanks for the comment n yes I love Serendipity too, guess we have some similar taste in movies :)

i lyk Hilary :P said...

its visible that your are NOT a feminist and talking about Hilary, cute women with a graceful smile :D
will try watching them as per your suggestions

rads said...

@Dee: Ok Hilary fan, she's definitely cute but she's not why I watched the film, but I'm thinking you'll be doing exactly that...anyways the moral of the movie is really good...