E-book Mania

6 Comments
This news has got me to thinking that its been ages since I read/owned a paperback. Guess Google has swept me off to an e-earth where books are just a click away. Do I have regrets? Not so far but maybe in the future, which I'm not concentrating on right now. The obsession with converting paperbacks to e-books has become so much that there are now e-book readers that operate with e-ink technology and are just the size of your regular paperback, only weighing less. When given with such a delicious option who can resist. Everywhere I see people are showing off their new gadgets like e-book readers, iPads, tablet PCs etc.

There were days when textbooks used to come with CDs containing a pdf version of the book but nobody even bothered to look at those becoz to read a CD we need a more expensive computer first, and comparatively the book costed less while leaving us enough money to spend on ice-creams and pav-bhaji. One step from there to the IT world and its computers everywhere around: at work, at a friend's place, and finally at home too, but still, paperbacks never lost their appeal coz we can hardly carry e-books everywhere with us. Then came the portable computers called laptops/notebooks. These could be taken as far as a coffeeshop or maybe even in public transit if you are willing to lug them on your shoulders all the way. But tech-gurus took this issue as their duty and invented the magical e-book readers. Publishing companies made sure they were not left behind and went ahead to create e-book versions of every book they published while bookstores made sure these were available to public online, at a lesser price or totally free. Then came the latest version of e-book readers with wi-fi connection and touchscreens. Thus these completely light weight and so very portable readers take you to an e-world where nobody has to buy pbbooks anymore. And what's more you can carry thousands of e-books in it at once. First it was just the Kindle and the Sony e-book reader, then Be-Book, then came the Barnes and Noble Nookcolor with touchscreen, and recently Bridgestone announced its color e-reader. Well, does the public really want to buy them? I guess they do, coz otherwise why would there be so much competition amongst these companies to better their products and continuously create new versions? Some advantages though are that: they cost less and most of them are even free, we do not have to travel to bookshops but just sit at home and buy them online or on the go if we have wi-fi coz every major bookstore provides e-book versions of their paperbacks online and all you need is an e-book reader with wi-fi. Also, we might stop cutting down trees and contribute to global cooling. There's also no need to allocate a room/space/bookshelf for paperbacks in our homes. I guess with so many advantages everybody would want one of these. Like everybody else I became an e-book reader even before I knew I was one. But what about public libraries with age old books that never had a CD version? Oh wait! Google is bent on converting them to e-books too. So now I don't have to visit the library anymore coz I can simply download all the free e-books to my computer/e-book reader. Hell! I can read all the major newspapers online and who needs a magazine subscription, especially to something like "Vogue" which is nothing but a bunch of ads of the latest designs put together (can you believe it has less than 10% of reading material?) when you can browse everything "fashion" online. Its a total waste of paper and the gizmodo supports my point too. So far I'm enjoying this but too much of a good thing can mean "oh wait there's a catch" and until we know about that why bother too much and change the bliss. Having said all that, I'll continue back to reading my e-book and maybe I'll review it in the next blog post :)

Image Courtesy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43602175@N06/4070018782/


You may also like

6 comments:

Ramesh said...

MMmmmm. I have a different take. Old fashioned, but the feel of a book is rather important to me. Can't take to ebooks at all.

But then to each his own. Would expect a tech expert like you to naturally take to this.

rads said...

@Ramesh: The topic of e-books is very controversial and I'm expecting a lot more neg comments like yours coz I know not everybody can digest such a big change easily...n btw I'm no tech expert, I like experiencing new things and stuff that make life easier...e-books just happen to be one of those things...

Preeti Shenoy said...

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me about e-books citing all the reasons you have mentioned in the post. But I am a stubborn mule. I need to feel the book, smell the book. Maybe I will change in the future--who knows. But for now, no e books for me.

Whenever someone leaves a comment on my really old blog posts (some more than 4 years old!) it is really disconcerting as it forces me down the memory lane and i have no idea why someone is digging through so many of my archives!

So much of what I said then might be totally irrelevant now. 24 comments from you at one go--OMG!(have published them all)

Apologies if I have been too honest in my comment here.

Thanks for the interest and the patience!
Warm regards
Preeti

rads said...

@Preeti: LOL ... i know its spooky n am sorry if i scared you but when i follow somebody's blog for the first time i make sure i read the entire blog first n then comment on whatever i like....its been a few days i've been following n reading your blog n there r still more comments to come..so u have to be patient... n about e-books, like i said in my comment above its just a person's choice some may go for it n some don't...

JKHoNa said...

I too was damn excited to see a Kindle kind of device. But dunno, somehow I have been loving the Paperbacks! the scent it develops over the time in it... feels good! So normally I don't mind to take the book, soon as it comes from Library, closer to my nose and breathe it out, before starting to read! Sometimes that scent can tell you if it would be a good read? :) :) :)

rads said...

@jkhona: I love the scent of books too and I still love paperbacks, I'm not against them but I love the idea of e-book readers too and they do have more advantages than disadvantages as far as I can see.