Best Free Image Editing Software

8 Comments
In one of my earlier posts, I've blogged about some good online image editing tools. These are really good and you can always use them just to have fun, edit your pictures, add effects to them, or to create a drawing using some pre-defined features. But the problem is that, some people are skeptical about uploading their pictures online to some unknown website, and also these websites do not offer the flexibility you can get with an installed software. Once the software is downloaded and installed in your computer, you need not connect to the internet anymore or even worry if one of the websites is down. Here is a list of such software which you can install in your computer and edit your pictures whenever you want or just use them to create some digital art:

Paint.NET : Nope, this is not the default "MS Paint" in your computer, but a more advanced and better version of it. This is for what I call a quick and easy editing of your pictures. The website also has a forum where you can discuss issues, report bugs, download some plugins, and submit one if you are a programmer.

Artweaver : A good alternative to photoshop. It also supports PSD files!

NeatImage : Images might be grainy/noisy sometimes due to low-light conditions and this software de-noises pictures, giving them a smooth finish.

GIMP : This is the closest you can get to Photoshop and is probably the most famous alternative. It has almost all the advanced features like photo retouching, and filters/brushes. Also, you can get a lot of GIMP plugins from the internet, just like for Photoshop.

Serif : This is in the same lines as Artweaver. It is like photoshop but with lesser features compared to Artweaver.

Pos Panorama Pro : You guessed it right, it creates panoramas, which is, stitching a group of pictures taken in a same location to form one single big picture.

Photoscape : This software offers some really good photo effects like vignetting, soft-focus and blooming. Its better than Serif, in some cases.

These are some of the best free image editing software I could come up with. If you have tried any other such good software, please let me know. Enjoy editing :)


You may also like

8 comments:

A said...

A good list. I did not know about Photoscape. I have tried GIMP but did not like. I have Photoshop. It is not full version but it does what I need. Picasa can do some basic editing too.

rads said...

@A: Thanks :) GIMP could be a little irritating if you are a photoshop fan...Oh yea I knew about Picasa but never tried it...

Ramesh said...

Hey - you're a heaven sent boon to those technologically challenged, including me.

rads said...

@Ramesh: I'm as technologically challenged as any other person and that is why I browse a lot and come up with stuff that makes life easier for ppl like me...i have never developed any software so the least i can do is let ppl know about the one's that have been developed by these geniuses...and my blog is no better than hundreds of other websites out there offering such information for free...i just blog about the stuff i like...

rama said...

Very useful tips. Since I am a techno illiterate, I am always stuck with basic editing which is kind of useless as it doesn't help much in enhancing a picture.
But i am a real dumb person I wonder whether i would know to make the full use of it. I wish i had in me to overcome this dumbness.

rads said...

@rama: The software I listed does basic editing and offers some good effects too...you don't have to be an expert to use them...they are quite self explanatory and you just have to know how to click a mouse :D ... if i could do it anybody can do it...

Vee said...

i find GIMP useful to create pictures from scratch. but to edit a photograph, i don't find it useful. instead i use Picasa for doing some basic touch ups to the pics.

rads said...

@Vee: GIMP has its flaws too but since its a free software, no complaints there...and Picasa is ok too, I guess, though I've never used it...just heard from users like you...