Happily Ever Afters

12 Comments
I was never a big fan of anything that ends with "happily ever after" and always wondered why authors end their stories when they do and why don't they continue the story by telling us what happens after, until recently I read this book (which I'm not going to name coz this is not a review) where "happily ever after" was actually explained in 3 chapters and then I thought, " now I understand, why some things are best left unsaid". I actually liked my imagination of happily ever after better than what the author had to say and couldn't read any further than a few pages, was surprised I lasted that long too. There's a reason why fairy tales end with "happily ever after" and end when they do coz there is something called imagination and when the author leaves scope for that, she/he is involving the reader in the plot and making it interactive, that way, the reader feels wanted and needed. Also "happily ever after" means a happy ending, unlike reality, and there's something about happy endings which makes reading a book or watching a movie worthwhile.

An author is most liked by a person when he/she finds out that they are reading about themselves and the book is usually a hit when some things are left unsaid and the reader gets to decide what must have happened rather than the author laying down facts of what could have been coz then that becomes the author's life and his/her POV (point of view) and a reader like I said will not find it appealing any more. Speaking too much of your mind can sometimes be like forcing others to view life as you do (which I think I'm doing right now) and interrupting their thoughts and ability to imagine and view things for themselves/on their own, and in my opinion nobody likes that.

I have always been a person who reads the ending first coz I'm too curious about what happens at-the-end and not patient enough to read the 300 or so pages first to see how the author unweils the story from nothing to something, so, if you are like me, then you will understand that if a happily ever after was actually explained then you wouldn't read the book any further to know how that has happened. Too much understanding of an ending can get you imagining your own plot and start comparing it to the author's rather than being interested in reading and appreciating what the author has written. I've always liked Sheldon's books for this one and only fact that his endings are awesome, they never reveal the plot or whatever happens before that last page thus spiking the reader's interest in wanting to read the book all through from the first to the last page to see how a simple beginning had turned into something incomprehensible. Actually I also liked them for the fact that he wrote about girl power :D

What I'm trying to say is that its kinda lame for an author to want to explain an ending. Maybe this particular author suddenly woke up one day and thought that 'hey why don't I give a piece of my mind to my readers and go ahead and explain my imagination of happily ever after?' Gosh, having read an authors imagination for 300 or so pages why would anyone want to read more of an after-ending? Its like the beginning of another book, or rather a sequel, but hey this is no trailer to the sequel, its just an author speaking her mind too loudly, or is it the author's way of saying that the readers have no brains so let me put some thoughts into them. Ok, so if you were writing for a bunch of no brainers, let me make it clear that people with no brains do not read books in the first place, let alone reading a whole explanation of "happily ever after". A writer should know when to let it go already. Woody Allen is one smart witer who knows his audience and keeps them guessing about what happens next, including the ending.

Reading pages of "happily ever after" is like drinking water after eating an ice-cream sundae. So, I'm not going to repeat myself and explain any further. Having said all that, she lived happily ever after :)


You may also like

12 comments:

kittymatti said...

Hehe :)I always like 'happily ever after'

rads said...

@Preethi: I think I like them too...maybe I just needed proof :)

Ramesh said...

Halfway thru the post I went to your last para - since you said that's what you do. Drinking water after ie cream sundae - yuck !!! So happily ever after, it is, except that that won't do for a blogger. There has always to be a next post :)

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ said...

I would prefer an ending to any story for that matter - either a "happlily ever" after or a "tragedy". It shouldn't be open ended cos in that case it leads my imagination to - happy,merry and gud always. But the point you are making sounds right! I agree.

pramod said...

actually there can never be such a state. A moment of it, hither and thither.
So we tend to like happy endings, which we miss in life.

rads said...

@Ramesh: Trust you to do something like that...but this is not a happily ever after ending to my blogging career, its however an ending to the post :) Thanks for the concern...

rads said...

@Aswini: Every story has to have an ending and i prefer it that way too, but my post was not about that, it was about the after-ending: the what happens after happily ever after...but i guess u got my point..thanks for reading my silly ramblings :)

rads said...

@Pramod: Yes, I do prefer happy endings too but what I'm saying is why not just end the story with something like "the guy and girl finally got married and lived happily ever after" instead of going ahead and explaining how many kids they had and how they raised the family together etc etc...

A said...

@Rads,

It is pretty subjective. It is hard to make every reader happy.

May I request you to read a story that I wrote 'My First Love' and comment in this post's context. You can get link to this from blog - under Short Stories. It is not really so short though.

rads said...

@A: Yep, all writers can't be liked by everyone but I'm not talking about that, it is just a post about a book's ending which i didn't like very much...but i guess it is true, writing is challenging...read your story...it sounded very similar to a story i heard from a person in real life...can't believe its fiction...nice write-up...

Priya said...

I totally agree with you! Nice post!! 'Cause it is nearly impossible to write a perfectly happy "ever after" without the risk of sounding too fake.

You know..it's kind of the same with all the romantic movies: I always wonder exactly how much time it took for that couple to break up after spending so much time and effort to get to that final kiss before the words "THE END" show up on the screen!
It is best that we don't know!! :)

rads said...

@Priya: Thanks :) It is nice to have a part to play in an ending by imagining it the way we like...n ur right the romantic comedies are so predictable...