Of Eye Glasses & Frames

16 Comments
Me and my spectacles have always had a love hate relationship. When I was first informed in school that I had myopia, I knew I had to wear eye glasses coz contacts was out of the question. I still do not understand, how can people insert a piece of glass into their eyes. At first I had my doubts, will boys ever look at me if I look like a nerd wearing specs, or will I look too studious and intimidating, and I finally decided I'd have to give it a test before panicking, like I had a choice. Back then there were no designer eye-ware, so I just went for a plain old carbon frame that was really round and big and dominated half my face. I still remember the first time I tested them, it was like I was looking at the world in new colors (I know I sound dramatic), like my life's changed from Eastman to technicolor. I also found out that I could actually hide the expression in my eyes through my glasses and no one would know how I really feel whenever I lied about something. Oh! it was some experience! but there were some disadvantages too, like it left ridges on my nose and behind my ears, it gave me dark circles around my eyes etc., and since all that's anyways covered with the spectacles, it didn't bother me much. My lenses were these UV-protection one's which turned black whenever I went into the sun and made me look like a blind lady.

In the beginning when I was still getting used to them I slept with them unawares and hence my first frame broke very soon. Also within a year my power increased by another 0.3 and I had to get new lens. Having learnt from my mistakes, this time I got a clear lens and and got my carbon frame fixed with new golden highlights. This made me look like an elderly teacher but I got a compliment from one of the guys in my class and it made me feel like I was actually wearing a Dolce & Gabbana. Also a lot of my friends said I looked very studious and that eye glasses kind of suited me, so there I was, the not-so-studious girl who looked studious and made guys back off :D

These frames lasted long but my power increased to -2 soon and I needed new lens again. This time a smart and handsome salesman made me buy a very light rosy-red tinted lens with an oval shaped golden frame. These frames made me look uppity and a little more nerdy than I used to be but atleast they didn't dominate my face anymore. This was the first time I was wearing frames with nose-pads and boy did they suck. It took a lot of time for me to get used to them and they gave me awful scars. After a lot of rough use from my end the nose-pads finally gave away with no way to be repaired or replaced. So though my eyesight hasn't increased ever since, I needed a new frame again. This time around I went for a rimless/half frame in rectangular shape and that's exactly like the one you can see in my profile picture. Once that frame broke I got a similar one coz I really liked it and thought it was the best frame I ever had. It looked trendy and designer like and didn't dominate my face.

Finally, this frame broke too a few weeks back. I went to get it fixed but none of the shops in Chicago had a frame that would fit my lenses from India, for under a $100. So I got new lens again, this time clear, with no tint, and a new frame which is still rectangular but full framed, and is a light purple-brown color. It looks oh so designer, but a little bigger than the one I had previously. The husband thinks it looks great on me and I'm happy to get back my specs after 2 weeks of being half blind.

Do you wear eye glasses too? What's your story?


You may also like

16 comments:

Ramesh said...

Ah well. everytime you change your glasses, men seem to go ga ga !!

Coincidentally, I went to change my glasses too yesterday. What struck me was the unbelievable nature of where the value has migrated - the poor doctor who tested and precribed got only Rs 250. The damn frame costs some Rs 7000 and the lens Rs 12000. Seems a completely nonsensical value chain.

rads said...

@Ramesh: Oh! I wish, I only ever got one compliment from a guy in college n then my hubby, but that's default so it can't be counted.

OMG! that's almost 20k, is that really worth it...just for a pair of eye glasses? Well mine cost, $50 for check-up (done by an optician in-store), and $60 for frames n lens, that's less than half of what your's cost.

Pranita said...

Wow.. this blog makes me wanna share my 'GLASSES' story too.. i wanted to comment it, but its realy long.. so m gonna blog abt it.. u gave me a new topic! :P

For now i can say, 'I UNDERSTAND!'

rads said...

@Pranita: LOL, glad I could inspire someone with my eye glasses...well, I'd love to see your post...and I guess it takes one spects gal to understand another...yay!! to gals with spectacles :D

specs buffy said...

Looks like we are indeed sailing in the same boat !!!

rads said...

@specs buffy: Looks that way :) Welcome to my blog.

Mak said...

Rads...we have one thing in common - i hate wearing contacts.
Being a sports freak, i always break my spectacles or lose them by keeping here or there. To come out of this problem, i have two pairs, one dedicated to sports alone (chraper one)...
Nice write up Rads.

Arnab Maity said...

I was also a myopic and could relate to your story from another angle, from that of a young boy.
But somehow luckily I did let go of those numbers when I grew up and now even though I don't have a perfect 6/6 vision, I manage it without glasses easily:)

JKHoNa said...

I don't remember any of my specs story but its always that high in India now. But we don't need to be half blind for so long! probably they it in a day or 2 max. BTW great story off yours!!!

the phoenix said...

whoa! you remember all your glasses so well. But I have been there done that, broken atleast 6 pair of glasses in two years

rads said...

@Mak: So glad to know someone else hates contacts as much as I do and I have two pairs too though I'm not a sports freak, I just love keeping a spare. Thanks :)

rads said...

@Arnab: Oh wow that's amazing, I didn't know we could actually cure eyesight well atleast I never heard before. Congrats on that. Welcome to my blog :)

rads said...

@jkhona: Hmm yeah I know, in my case I had to struggle to find a store that wouldn't charge me for both a checkup and a new pair. I just needed to get my frame fixed or changed under $50 so it took sometime to find one in Chicago, once I found it took 2 more days to get it fixed and returned. Hence the big delay.

rads said...

@the phoenix: Yeah i do coz there was a story or some kind of incident happening every time I broke one or needed a new one so its kind of easy to remember things that way. I'm usually careful with my glasses and never really changed one before completing 2 years atleast. Welcome to my blog :)

Jen..The Butterfly Effect said...

LOL! I used to do the same Rads! I sleep with my lens on to this day! My mom keeps shouting at me everytime I do that! Despite hearing scary consequences of it.. I still STILL do that! :D

rads said...

@Jen: I guess every chashmish has this prob :D