Art with Words

24 Comments
Art created with letters and/or typographic symbols is called Typography/Text Art or Word Art. You must've seen it many times coz its nothing new. It comes in various forms like: text/text symbols arranged in a layout, pictures/portraits merged with words using software, images drawn using only words/letters from scratch, or photos containing images of letters put together to create word art.

Word Art created using word/letter photography is where we take pictures of symbols or images that represent a letter and then combine them to form words. These are then put together and framed to form an artsy wall decor piece. Art with words is also sometimes created by cutting letters of different and unique typography styles from magazines and newspapers to form meaningful words or sentences. A lot of you who're crafty must've tried this before to create posters or bookmarks and stuff like that.

Text/Typography Art is the coolest thing ever since typography came into existence. People interested in calligraphy might like doing this the traditional way but I found some unique and easier ways this could be done with the help of internet. Below are some websites that create typography/word art for you:

Wordle: You are given three input options to either enter text of your choice, a url, or a del.icio.us user name. The website then collects tags and words most commonly used and automatically generates beautiful word art. You also have the option to change font, layout, language, and color. The most used words are bigger and bolder compared to the least used words. Although, you need Java environment for it to work, so it might prompt you for an installation if you do not already have it on your computer. You can then print the result or save it as a screenshot. Here's something I got when I entered lyrics to Taylor Swift's - Love Story (I know its V-day, so cheesy):



TagXedo: Another website that creates free word art. Enter your input options, select the font style and theme, and hit submit. You'll require to download and install Microsoft Silverlite if you don't have it. You can save or print the result. Here's what I got when I entered the search term "Valentines Day".



fSymbols: This is probably created by a geeky typography fan. It has some cool text art generators to convert your text into various typographic styles. There's no way you can save or print it but you can copy the result into a word document or notepad and then go on to use it in an image editing software to create an artsy image. You can then use it as either a wallpaper or print it out to create a wall hanging. Here's something I made:



FontImageGenerator: Its an interactive online tool to convert text into cool fonts. You can also apply different backgrounds and effects to it. But you can only save it as a screenshot and the image is too small, a postcard size. Here's something I created:



Textorizer: This amazing website places your text all over the image you upload to create something like this: The website runs a java script so be sure to disable pop-up blockers.




Textographer: Another website that creates or rather merges your photos to create typographic art. They require a closeup portrait, and some text of your choice to create something like this:



I'm guessing this is probably photoshopped, so if you have Adobe Photoshop software and are interested in doing it on your own, I found a great tutorial here.

WordArtPhotos: This website takes your text and converts it into photos containing images that represent the letters. It is however not free and the cost depends on the frame style, the length of words, and the color selected. Spaces and special characters are not allowed. This is how it'll look:



WordArt: This website is similar to the above except that it gives you the choice to pick your own photos of letters from their large collection to create upto a max. of 10 letter words. No spaces or special characters allowed. Cost depends on the frame selected and the length of words. It'll look like this without a frame:



If you're interested in creative photography, you can probably do this on your own, just a suggestion.

Here's a list of images created with words, I don't know how they did this but its so cool! I also came across an exquisite collection of 15 typography artworks while browsing. They're all photoshopped and awesome. You can also download free fonts from websites like UrbanFonts and DaFont and use them to create Word/Text Art with your favorite quote/proverb/song lyrics using software like Photoshop. Have fun! Maybe this could be your last minute gift idea for V-day ;)

Are you a fan of Word/Typography Art or have created it before? What do you think of my list of suggestions? Also do you know of any other such cool websites? Please do share. And before I forget, Happy V-day, hope you're having fun with your Valentine. Enjoy!!!


You may also like

24 comments:

Ramesh said...

Wow. Didn't know such things are possible. Like very much the style of your blog. There are a number of extremely informative posts, some points of view posts intersperesed with something about you. Very nice. Delighted you came back to blogging.

rads said...

@Ramesh: Thanks :) I'm glad to see you noticed it, the changes I made, and happy that you liked it :) Its so encouraging to listen to readers say such sweet things. Makes me wanna blog more. I'm excited about the newness of my blog too, hoping it continues.

Pranita said...

This is a super delightful post...! Lovvvd it... Cant wait to try em out! Thanx Rads.. ur the best! Really! ;-)

Jen..The Butterfly Effect said...

This is such a typical post of yours ,Rads!! :) And I love it.So awesomely informative :)!! I should try the Wordle sometime and the TagXedo too:)!!

I've always wanted to have that Wordle on my blog..you know for my labels!!

rads said...

@Pranita: You're welcome :) I'm glad to see you're as excited as I am about something like typography art :) Thanks for such sweet compliments :)

rads said...

@Jen: :D Yeah this is something that my readers always expect from me too...You should try them, they're so cool!, although I don't think its a widget for a blog, it doesn't generate labels for your blog, if that's what you want, it just takes random and repeated text to create an image.

I'm glad you liked the post :)

Dipak Kumar Bhattacharyua said...

Good artistic experiment & pass-time option. Your artistic passion also is satisfied

rads said...

@Dipak: Thanks :) and Welcome to my blog. Art is all about having fun and keeping us sane. It has more than one way of keeping us satisfied.

Sujana said...

The wordart and textographer looks awesome! Great to see so many great programs (most of which I never even heard of before) so thanks for that :D

Dee........ said...

Whoa :) That was a BRIEF INTRO ABOUT ART WITH WORDS :)
loved it and the way you explained things..
espl the snaps :)
rocking \m/

rads said...

@Sujana: I've recently been introduced to this stuff too...Glad you liked it :)

rads said...

@Dee: Thanks :) Welcome to my blog. The intro was more an explanation to myself than to anyone. But I'm glad you liked it :)

Dhakkanz said...

Nice one yaar…I had seen some of these earlier but didn't know all this is actually possible. And, the topic itself is too unique. Liked it! :)

rads said...

@Dhakkanz: Thanks :) and Welcome to my blog. I'm glad everybody is liking this post. Art in each and every form is magical to me and I love discussing it in my blog.

Emm said...

I got fascinated by these after reading angels and demons, not exactly in relation to your post though;)

Sujana said...

I tagged you in a post :)

rads said...

@Emm: :D Yea those movies are all about cracking hidden codes and symbols, I remember that too...Thanks for commenting and Welcome to my blog :)

rads said...

@Sujana: Aww man! Tag? really? Its been really really long since I did tags n I was actually thinking I'm getting old for these. But will look up your post and probably do it sometime next week? coz I have one more tag to do which I'm planning to do tomorrow. So maybe I'll try doing this during the weekend.

mojomade said...

Holy crap this is awesome! Glad I found your blog, gonna check all those links out - I do graphic design myself so love all that stuff :)
Thought you might like the Boticca Jewelry giveaway on my blog since I know you like their stuff! :)

My blog address is mojomade.blogspot.com

Hope you like it! Luv Morgan x
[musician.fashiondesigner.rocknroller]

Sujana said...

Lol I'm back again :P To present an award this time haha! http://dreamingindecember.blogspot.com/p/blog-awards.html

rads said...

@Sujana: Thanks for the award Sujana, am doing this post today :)

rads said...

@mojomade: Thanks :) I've entered the giveaway and subscribed to your blog...loved it.

Megha Sarin said...

WOW! I didn’t know about all these.

This is very informative <3

Love
http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

rads said...

@Megha: Thanks :) I didn't know about these a few weeks ago too...