Winters in Western Countries

6 Comments
According to a celebration called Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney, its still 3 more weeks to spring. Since winter this year has been warmer compared to previous years, I'm hoping spring's gonna be warmer too - fingers and toes crossed - while I desperately wait for summer.

While it's a whole new experience living in the western countries with full four seasons there are also some banes which I cannot help but complain about. Beware that these are some rants of a girl who's used to living in warmer countries for about 20 years of her life.

Seasonal Clothing: We actually need different kinds of clothing for different seasons. This was a shock to me initially since I come from a country where we have summer all through the year and very mild seasonal changes in weather. And all this clothing takes up a lot of space. The worst part is that I cannot carry back all this clothing when I return back to my warmer country since they will be useless.

Winter Skincare: There's an insane variety of winter skincare products - which I have never even heard about - available in the market here. Body creams, moisturizers, lotions, serums, gels and what not. And they are all really essential too if you want to keep your skin healthy and intact.

Daylight Saving: The first year living abroad I started cursing these first world white countries who keep changing their clocks however they want. It seemed quite crazy and stupid to me especially since the offices where we work always have light no matter how dark or bright it is outside. We work in closed spaces with glass windows that are shut down with blinds / curtains etc to keep the sun away. So what does it matter what time it is, we are there in office 9-5 on 5 days a week in every season.

Health Concerns: Gloomy and cold weather can cause serious mood swings and depression. You need sun for your general well being. And some serious things to consider in cold countries is taking supplements like Calcium, Vit D and Vit C. If you don't you might start facing some bone issues, and lung infections very easily.

Seasonal Foods: It is magical how some fruits and vegetables which cant even grow in cold countries available here in all seasons. Seriously makes me wonder if we are eating anything natural and organic at all.

How do you cope with such issues in cold countries. What are your tips and tricks to stay warm and healthy and happy. Please do share in the comments below.


You may also like

6 comments:

Ramesh said...

God ; its easier to run away from winter than to buy all this :)

Btw, didn't know (but should have guessed) that you are an "electric" girl !!!!

rads said...

@Ramesh: I know, the damn winter costs so much, I didn't use half of these products when I was in India, but here use them or live with flaky n cracked skin, which is not an option, so have to use them. Its so much waste of time, money n energy.

Err...electric girl????
Sorry but didn't get what you meant.

Jen..The Butterfly Effect said...

Oh I've tried the Jergens moisturizing cream coz it used to freeze back in Qatar and our skin used to go chap dry!! I love it's delicate aroma too :)

rads said...

@Jen: Great to know you're a fan of Jergens too :). I just love it!

Megha Sarin said...

Great Post!

Are you married in Chicago :) Hows life

Love
http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

rads said...

@Megha: Yep I'm married...Life's good except for the winter climate :)