Do it Now; Not Postpone

24 Comments
We all know that we postpone a lot of things in life thinking we're too young for them and by the time we realize it we feel we've become too old to pursue them anymore, if you get what I'm saying. Example: A friend of mine always wanted to learn piano when she was in school but kept postponing it thinking it she's not matured enough and it would too much at that age with school and everything. She thought she'll start it once she's older and has more free time and not loaded with classes, exams, and assignments to deal with. She kept delaying it at every stage thinking she'll be free later. So she started taking lessons after her daughter has reached 3 years and old enough to go to school. Even then life hasn't stopped being hectic, and she was not anymore matured to learn piano than she was in high school and in fact she felt it would have been much easier to have pursued it when she was in school. Now she suffers from chronic back ache and sitting through a class of piano after job, and house chores, and taking care of her kid is just too much to bear and she's thinking of quitting. And boy does she regret it.

This happens to all of us in different situations and at various points in life. And I think the best way to cope with this is by not postponing it and acting on something whenever we feel like it. There are also some people who think that wearing denim after a certain age is too much but if that's the first time in life you've felt like wearing it and you think you're ready for it then I say go for it. Coz later when wearing denim becomes a trend for people your age you might regret not wearing it at that age. Some important things to keep in mind are to listen to what your heart wants, and not live in fear of being judged.

I know a person who hasn't had chocolate ice cream in like forever coz he didn't like spending money on luxuries and when he finally got the time and money to do it he found out that his cholesterol levels are high and he might get diabetic some day if he ate sugar. So he postponed it again. But damn he liked it! In such a situation I'd say go for it (which I did say), coz he's not going to be diabetic only becoz of one chocolate ice cream he eats today. And now since he's ready for it he should take it. Later when he gets really diabetic he might regret not eating it when he had the chance.

The main goal is to experience life and do what you want when you want coz there are a lot of things we keep postponing for several reasons unnecessarily. We keep limiting ourselves and sacrificing things at so many points in life anyways so when we actually get the chance to do something we like it'd be foolish to let it go again.

Find something you like? I'd say, Go grab it now! Don't worry about your age or what others might think and do not ever postpone it. You never know until you try. And you definitely do not want to regret not doing it later in your life. No age or no time is "the right age/time" to start anything and its never too late to begin.


You may also like

24 comments:

Ramesh said...

Yeah true true. But there is also a special joy in procrastinating forever :)

Liked your label for this post :):)

rads said...

@Ramesh: Hmm not to me, I've done it all my life and want to put a stop to it. The label? well Thanks :)

JKHoNa said...

I don't think I need to wait for your post on IndVine! it again struck to me on 13th April to visit this page and websense didn't allow me to comment here! Of course, we do compromise a lot. But that's not the right way! But sometimes there is no other way as well!! :) :)

rads said...

@Jkhona: I'm glad you try to visit my blog inspite of all the complications posed by technology...I do have to post on Indivine too, but not able to find the time. Thanks :))

sonik said...

Agree with Ramesh, at times procrastinating is good. Though not in cases mentioned above, one should never procrastinate to indulge in small pleasures :)

Subhorup Dasgupta said...

Like. Like. A small addition though - being willing to seize the present and act now involves being prepared for the consequences. Living in the present can sometimes come with a test of your resolve. However, if you hang in there, the universe ensures that all your needs (and often wants) are met.

rads said...

@sonik: Life is full of small pleasures I guess but even if it were some major things I would suggest not to procrastinate coz in my experience i found it to be causing regrets later. Welcome to my blog :)

rads said...

@Subhorup: I'm not saying that one should be impulsive and do things without any thought..ofcourse one should consider all the pros and cons before doing something but waiting until the universe finds a way to communicate to us and not doing what we like just because we might face some bad consequences is not a good thing either, in my opinion...after all, that's how we learn, and if we have made a bad decision today it might teach us not to do such things later but if we procrastinate we will never know and never learn.

Bhavana said...

dang you Rads!!! I wanted to postpone sending an email reminder to people to finish a certain assignment--now I need to do it. Dang, dang, dang!

Megha Bansal said...

it's mind games - if we didn't let our heart control us, we'd be so much better off!!

sumitra said...

Very true, makes no sense to postpone the things we really want to do/enjoy in life, as long as we know where to draw the line.

rads said...

@Bhavana: LOL I'm glad you chose the right thing and did not postpone.

rads said...

@Megha: Its ok to listen to our heart once in a while and follow its wishes. Our mind listens to what we want it to listen.

rads said...

Sumitra: If its something illegal then drawing lines is good but if not its ok to cross them once in a while and do what we want.

dissentingmind said...

Easier said than done.

Well-written, though.

rads said...

@dissentingmind: Hmm, well its not so hard to give ourselves a break and enjoy life the way we want it..I used to think like you and boo at ppl who preach stuff like this :D but it is in fact true and its not that difficult to follow and I know that now... and I also regret that I gave up so many things that I could have easily done only if I had followed this one rule. Thanks :) Welcome to my blog.

Dr. Danny K. Simon said...

Its true! I think we procrastinate when we know there's no deadline to it! Wonderful post!

jaish_vats said...

Well Said and Quite True. And co-incidentally I am also thinking of taking keyboard classes and I have a 3 yr old :)

The Fool said...

True. Fully agree.

Asif said...

I am a chronic procrastinator. I believe you postpone or procrastinate things because you are doing something that you are not actually interested in. If you are really passionate about something, its difficult to postpone it unless you lack resources mainly money to do it. :)

rads said...

@Dr. Danny: Life is full of unseen and unknown deadlines coz anything can happen to anybody and anytime. So its better to act on things as and when we can instead of postponing further. Thanks :) Welcome to my blog.

rads said...

@jaish_vats: Thanks :) Go for it!

rads said...

@The Fool: You're no fool if you agree to this :) Thanks and welcome to my blog.

rads said...

@Asif: True but most of the times I've noticed ppl postpone things they love doing whatever maybe the reason and this post is mostly for them. Lack of resources suck too but postponing further even after that issue is solved is foolish and many ppl do that. That is what made me write this post. Welcome to my blog :)